The Prime Minister of India, Mr Narendra Modi said that this exercise will radically improve the human resource management practices of the Indian Government and asserted it will use the state of the art infrastructure to augment the capacity of all the civil servants.
The Union Cabinet has approved the Mission Karmayogi scheme for all the civil servants and is aimed at upgrading the post-recruitment training mechanism of all the employees and officers at all levels. He also said that this exercise will help to improve human resource management.
The Union Minister, Prakash Javadekar said that the officers and employees in the Government will be getting an opportunity to improve their performance under this scheme. This scheme prepares the country and the civil servants for the future as it helps in making them more constructive, imaginative, creative, innovative, professional, proactive, progressive, energetic, transparent and technology-enabled.
How Will Mission Karmayogi Unfold?
This programme will be delivered by setting up a digital platform which is known as iGOTKarmayogi. It is empowered with the specific role competencies, a civil servant will be able to ensure the efficient delivery service of the high-quality standards.
This platform will act as a launchpad for the National Programme for Civil Services Capacity Building (NPCSCB), which will also enable a comprehensive reform of the building apparatus at the individual and the process levels. The NPCSCB will be governed by the Prime Minister Human Resource Council, which will be also including State Cheif Ministers, Union Cabinet Ministers and the experts.
How Will Be Mission Karmayogi Funded?
In order to cover around 46 lakh central employees, an amount of Rs. 510.86 crore would be spent over a period of 5 years from the year 2020-21 to 2024-25. The expenditure is funded by multilateral assistance to the tune of $50 million.
Besides setting the SPV, an appropriate monitoring and evaluation framework will also be put in place for evaluating the performance of all the users of this platform.
What Are The Features of Mission Karmayogi?
The scheme has been designed carefully to lay down the foundations for capacity building for all the civil servants so that they remain entrenched in the culture of India and its sensibilities. It also helps them to remain connected with their roots while they learn from the best institutions all over the world. The core guidelines of the principles are as under:
- Supporting Transition from ‘Rules based’ to ‘Rules based’ HR Management. Also, aligning the work allocation of the civil servants by matching their competencies to the requirements of the post.
- It emphasizes ‘on-site learning’ to complement the ‘off-site learning’.
- In order to create an ecosystem of shared training infrastructure, it includes learning materials and institutions.
- To calibrate all the positions of CivilServices to a Framework of Activities, Roles and Competencies approach and in order to create and deliver content in every Government entity.
- To make all the civil servants available, an opportunity is created to build and strengthen their functional, behavioural and domain competencies in their mandated learning paths.
What Are The Objectives of Mission Karmayogi?
The scheme is also proposed with a view to ensuring a uniform approach in regulating and managing the capacity building ecosystem. The main objectives of the scheme are mentioned below:
- To assist the Human Resources Council in approving the capacity of the building plans.
- To exercise functional supervision over the training institutions dealing with the civil services.
- To create shared learning resources, internal as well as external and resource centres.
- To supervise and coordinate the implementation of the capacity plans with the stakeholder departments.
- To make recommendations on the standardization of training and also capacity building and methodology.
- To set norms for common mid-career training programs.
- To suggest policy interventions required in the areas of Human Resource Management.
Mission Karmayogi FAQs
✅ What is the mission of Mission Karmayogi?
The aim of the scheme is to prepare the civil servants of the country by making them more creative and constructive.
✅ What is a capacity-building commission?
It has been mandated to drive the standards and harmony across the Indian civil services.
✅ Who is called Karmayogi?
In Bhagavad Gita, the word ‘Karmayogi’ means mental discipline or attitude that gives the actions of a person.