Rashtriya Gokul Mission
The Rashtriya Gokul Mission was launched in the month of December 2014 as an initiative in order to develop and conserve the indigenous bovine breeds for improving the production of milk and productivity in a scientific manner, and it includes farm management and superior nutrition.
The Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, along with the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, announced the implementation of this scheme. It was launched under the National Program for Dairy Development and Bovine Breeding during the 12th Five Year Plan.
The country houses around 14.5% of the cattle population of the whole of the world. Out of that population, 83% is indigenous. The Rashtriya Gokul Mission was implemented by the SIA (State Implementing Agency), and it focuses on the development of indigenous cattle centers.
This mission is, no doubt, one of the best missions that the Indian Government has launched so far. It focuses on the importance of rearing indigenous breeds and also on the utilization of animal wastes.
What Are The Objectives of Rashtriya Gokul Mission?
The objectives of the scheme are mentioned below:
- To develop and conserve the indigenous breeds.
- To initiate a breed improvement program in order to improve the genetic makeup.
- To improve and to increase the production of milk.
- To distribute diseases-free high genetic merit bulls for natural service.
- Use of the elite indigenous breeds such as Sahiwal, Gir, Deoni, Rathi, Red Sindhi, Tharparkar for upgrading the nondescript cattle.
What Are The Initiatives Under Rashtriya Gokul Mission?
Many initiatives were taken under this scheme for the conservation and development of the indigenous bovine breeds. Some of the major initiatives of this scheme taken by the Indian Government during the implementation of the mission are mentioned below:
- Various cattle development centers were established in order to develop the indigenous breeds.
- These centers were known as the Gokul Grams.
- Initiation of different awards to the farmers in order to encourage them to rear the indigenous breeds.
- Gopal Ratna award was decided to be given to the farmers for best management and the maintenance of indigenous breeds.
- Kamdheny award was given for the best management of indigenous herd by Trusts/ NGOs/ Institutions/ Gaushalas or the best-managed breeder’s societies.
- Establishment of NKBC (National Kamdhenu Breeding Centre) as a center of excellence for the conservation and development of indigenous breeds.
- Developing an e-market portal for connecting the farmers and breeders. This e-market portal was named ‘E-Pashu Haat- Nakul Pranjnan Bazaar.
- Pashu Sanjivani, an animal welfare program, was established, and it encompassed the provision of animal health cards.
- Use of advanced reproductive technology for a disease-free female. The technology is known as IVF- In-vitro Fertilization and MOET- Multiple Ovulation Embryo Transfer.
Why Is It Necessary To Conserve Indigenous Breeds?
It is essential to conserve the Indigenous breeds because:
- Indigenous bovines are resilient and robust.
- These are better disease-resistant than exotic breeds.
- These are more suitable for low input management.
- These breeds survive better in the local environment.
- These are also suitable for draught work.
What Does The Rashtriya Gokul Mission Scheme Focus On?
- Promoting indigenous cattle and their conservation.
- Use of indigenous breeds for propagating high genetic merit bulls.
- Developing practices of the modern farms with the promotion of common resource management.
- Economically utilization of animal waste.
Rashtriya Gokul Mission FAQs
✅ What is the aim of the Rashtriya Gokul Mission?
This mission aimed to conserve and develop the indigenous breeds in order to improve the production of milk.
✅ Is Rashtriya Gokul Mission central sector?
It is a centrally sponsored scheme and is implemented in around 30 districts.
✅ Which cattle breeds are improved under Rashtriya Gokul Mission?
Indigenous breeds like Sahiwal, Gir, Rathi, Tharparkar, Deoni, and Red Sindhi are improved.
Table of Contents
- 1 Rashtriya Gokul Mission
- 2 What Are The Objectives of Rashtriya Gokul Mission?
- 3 What Are The Initiatives Under Rashtriya Gokul Mission?
- 4 Why Is It Necessary To Conserve Indigenous Breeds?
- 5 What Does The Rashtriya Gokul Mission Scheme Focus On?
- 6 Rashtriya Gokul Mission FAQs