Savya Shiksha Abhiyaan
The Savya Shiksha Abhiyaan (SSA) is a flagship program that was launched by the Indian Government with an aim to achieve the Universalisation of Elementary Education in a time-bound manner. This was mandated by the Constitution of India. The 86th amendment of the Constitution of India made the Right To Education a Fundamental Right. This Right provides free and compulsory education to each and every child within the age group of 6 to 14 years.
The Ministry of Human Resource Development anchors this program. This program has been operational from the year 2000 and with the introduction of the RTE (Right To Education) Act, 2009, various changes were made in this scheme.
This scheme has been implemented in partnership with the State Governments in order to cover the entire country and also address the requirements of 192 million children in around 1.1 million habitations.
In the year 2018, this scheme along with the Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan was subsumed to form the Samagra Shiksha Abhiyan Scheme.
What Are The Features Of the Samagra Shiksha Abhiyan Scheme?
|Motto||Education for all|
|Founder||Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Prime Minister of India|
|Ministry||Ministry of Education|
|Launched||2001, 20 years ago|
|Budget||Rs. 7622 crore|
|Status||Merged with the National Education Mission in 2018|
The different features of this scheme are mentioned below:
- It was launched for the implementation of UEE (Universal Elementary Education) in a defined time frame.
- It provides quality basic education all over India.
- This scheme facilitates the promotion of social justice by offering basic education to children.
- This scheme involves the Panchayati Raj institutions, School Management Committees, Mother Teacher Associations, and Tribal Autonomous Councils in the management of the elementary schools.
- It also provides an opportunity for the States for developing the vision of elementary education.
- It creates a partnership between the Central, the State, and the Local Government for imparting education.
What Are The Objectives of the Samagra Shiksha Abhiyan Scheme?
The scheme of Shiksha Abhiyan seeks to positively impact curriculum, teacher education, educational planning, and management. The main objectives of the scheme are mentioned below:
- To establish new schools in such places where there are no schooling facilities.
- To arrange alternative schooling facilities.
- To strengthen the existing infrastructure of the school by providing drinking water facilities, toilets, and additional classrooms.
- To manage maintenance grants and the grants for school improvement.
- To provide free textbooks and uniforms to the school children.
- To provide and increase the strength of teachers by appointing teachers in the schools which are having a shortage of teachers.
- To give quality elementary education and some life skills to the students.
- To promote the education of girls for bringing a change in the status of women.
- To promote the education of differently-abled children.
- To provide equal education opportunity to children of the households which are belonging to ST/SC, a Muslim minority, landless agricultural laborers, etc.
- To understand the educational requirements of the children in the schools.
- To bridge the digital divide by giving computer education to the children.
- To strengthen and enhance the skills and capacity of the existing school teachers through extensive training, etc.
Funding Pattern of Savya Shiksha Abhiyaan
The Savya Shiksha Abhiyaan scheme has been implemented as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme and the funding pattern is explained in the following points:
- It is centrally sponsored.
- 100% for the Union Territories without the Legislature.
- Its initial outlay was Rs. 7,000 crores in 2011-12 by the Government of India.
- Many persons have also contributed and the funds also grew.
Savya Shiksha Abhiyaan FAQs
✅ Who funds Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan?
The whole expenditure of the program was shared by both the Central Government (85%) and the State Governments (15%).
✅ What is the conclusion of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan?
This scheme is an attempt to provide an opportunity for improving the capabilities of humans through community provisions.
✅ Is Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan a scheme?
It is a comprehensive scheme and an integrated program of the Indian Government to attain UEE (Universal Elementary Education).
Table of Contents
- 1 Savya Shiksha Abhiyaan
- 2 What Are The Features Of the Samagra Shiksha Abhiyan Scheme?
- 3 What Are The Objectives of the Samagra Shiksha Abhiyan Scheme?
- 4 Funding Pattern of Savya Shiksha Abhiyaan
- 5 Savya Shiksha Abhiyaan FAQs