What Is Swachh Bharat Mission?
Swachh Bharat Mission or Swachh Bharat Abhiyan or Clean India Mission is a campaign started by the Government of India in the year 2014 in order to improve solid waste management and to eliminate open defecation.
|Launched by||Narendra Modi|
|Slogan||One step towards cleanliness|
This mission is levied by the Indian Government in order to clean the country and a step towards better waste management. This mission is one of the most significant and popular missions launched by the Government of India in History. It was introduced by the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi and it was launched on 2nd October 2014 in order to honour the vision of Mahatma Gandhi of a cleaner country.
Also, the Finance Ministry of the country announced Swachh Bharat Mission 2.0 that will be launched in February 2021 under the ‘Health and Wellbeing’ vertical. This second phase of the mission will have a new component of the treatment of wastewater and it will include faecal sludge management in all the ULBs (Urban Local Bodies) with less than 1 lakh people.
What Are The Campaigns Under The Swachh Bharat Mission?
The Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi has received the ‘Global Goalkeeper’ reward from the Gates Foundation for the initiative of this mission. It was on 25th September 2019 in New York. The different campaigns under the Swachh Bharat Mission are mentioned below:
- Plastic se Raksha
- Swachhta Pakhwada
- Swachhta Shramdaan
- Swachhta hee Seva
What Is Swachh Bharat Mission 2.0?
The Government of India has allocated around Rs 1,47,678 crores for the Swachh Bharat Mission 2.0. The main components of the mission are:
- The very new component of this mission is wastewater treatment, which includes faecal sludge management in all the Urban Local Bodies with a population of less than 1 lakh
- There will be sustainable sanitation, which will include the construction of toilets
- There will be solid waste management
- Education, information and communication
- There will be capacity building
What Were The Achievements Of This Mission?
The following are the achievements that are expected out of the Swachh Bharat Mission 2.0: –
- ODF+ certifications to all the statutory towns
- ODF+ certifications to all the statutory towns with less than 1 lakh population
- Water+ certification to half of all the statutory towns which have a population of less than 1 lakh
- Bio-remediation of all the legacy dumpsites
- Rating of at least 3 stars garbage free to all the towns according to the MoHUA’s (Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs)
Swachh Bharat Mission Action Plan
The main objective of the Swachh Bharat Mission is to spread awareness regarding cleanliness and the importance of cleanliness. The main concept of this mission is to provide basic facilities of sanitation such as solid and liquid waste disposal systems, toilets, village cleanliness and adequate and safe drinking water to each and every person.
The main action plan of this mission was laid by the Ministry of Drinking water and Sanitation. The main focus is to triple the sanitation facility by the year 2019. The major change that was brought by this mission is in the Making of an Open Defecation Free India.
The main highlights of the Swachh Bharat Mission are mentioned below:
- Improve the percentage of growth of toilets from 3% to 5% by the year 2019
- Increase in the construction of toilets from a number of 14000 to 48000 per day
- There were a launch of a National level/ State Level Media campaign via mobile telephony, audio-visual and local programmes in order to communicate this message of cleanliness all over the country
- Improvement of the school children for spreading awareness for sanitation and hygiene.
Swachh Bharat Mission FAQs
✅ Who started the Swachh Bharat Mission?
This mission was started by the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi.
✅ Which scheme is launched under the Swachh Bharat Mission?
The Swachh Bharat Swacch Vidyalaya was launched by the Indian Government by involving the students and teachers of different schools.
✅ What is the meaning of the Swachh Bharat Mission?
The meaning is Clean Indian Mission which was launched to clean the roads and streets of India.