What Is PM-JAY?
PM-JAY is Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana, which is also referred to as Ayushman Bharat National Health Protection Scheme. It is public health insurance done at the national level. This scheme aims to provide free access to health insurance for all the low-income earners living in India. Around 50% of the population of the country qualifies for this scheme. The people can use the facilities provided under the PM-JAY program and can have access to primary healthcare services. Also, if anyone is in need of some additional care, then free secondary health care services are also provided.
|Project Type||Health Insurance|
|Prime Minister||Narendra Modi|
|Ministry||Ministry of Health and Family Welfare|
|Launched on||23rd September 2018|
|Budget||Rs. 8,088 crores (1.1 US Billion)|
The PM-JAY is a part of the National Health Policy of the Government of India and it is means-tested. The scheme was launched on 23rd September 2018 by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Later, a whole new organization was established to administer this program effectively. The PM-JAY scheme is centrally sponsored and also jointly funded by both the States and the Union Government. It is the World’s Largest Government Sponsored Healthcare Program ever with service to over 50 crore people.
History Of PM-JAY
In the year 2018, the month of June, the applications for the hospitals were opened through an empanelment process. Then, in July 2018, it was recommended by the Ayushman Bharat Yojana that the people can have access to the scheme through their Aadhaar Cards but at the same time, there was also a process through which the people can have access to that program without an identity card. The scheme was firstly launched on 23rd September 2018 at Ranchi, in the state of Jharkhand. After that, this scheme was also extended to the Union Territories of Jammu and Kashmir, and Ladakh by December 26, 2020.
Features Of PM-JAY: Ayushman Bharat Yojana Scheme
As mentioned above, it is the biggest and the largest Government-sponsored Healthcare Program in the whole world. The features of this scheme are summed up in the following points:
- PM-JAY scheme or the Ayushman Bharat Yojana Scheme is like a family floater scheme and the sum assured in this scheme is around Rs. 5 lakh per family enrolled in the program.
- This scheme has been specially designed for the people who are below the poverty line for their health benefits.
- PM-JAY scheme facilitates healthcare services that are cashless to the beneficiary either in the public or in the private hospitals.
- Moreover, this scheme also recompenses the cost of transportation incurred by the beneficiary during the pre and post-hospitalization period.
- Some specific pre-existing diseases are also covered under this scheme.
- The payment of the medical expenses is based on the packaged rate, decided by the Government.
PM-JAY Scheme Eligibility Criteria
If a person wants to avail of the benefits of this scheme, it is necessary for him to be eligible for this scheme. He has to check his name and the names of his family members in the Socio-Economic Census 2011. The people who have their names in the Socio-Economic Census 2011 are eligible and are entitled to enjoy the benefits of this scheme.
PM-JAY Scheme: Eligibility Criteria For Rural Areas
- Families who are living in one room with Kuccha walls and roof.
- A household that has no male/adult or earning member and is within 16-59 years of age.
- The families of manual scavengers.
- Household with one disabled member and without a healthy adult member.
- Landless households earn which earn from manual labour as a major part of their family income.
PM-JAY Scheme: Eligibility Criteria For Urban Areas
- Domestic Worker
- Plumber/ Washerman/ Mason
- Tailor/ Sweeper/ Mali/ Home-based Artisans/ Handicraft worker
- Painter/ Coolie/ Construction worker/ Welder/ Labour/ Security Guard
- Cobbler/ Street vendors/ Hawkers
- Mechanic/ Electrician/ Conductor/ Cart puller/ Transport worker/ Rickshaw puller
- Delivery assistant/ Peon/ Waiter/ Shop worker
How To Register For PM-JAY Scheme?
It is really simple to register for PM-JAY Scheme and is applicable to all the people who are identified under the SECC 2011 and who were a part of the RSBY scheme. If you want to register for PM-JAY online, follow the steps given below:
- Visit the website for the PM-JAY scheme.
- Click on the ‘AM I ELIGIBLE’ tab.
- Submit your contact number, CAPTCHA Code and then click on the ‘Generate OTP’ button.
- If your family is covered under it, your name will be displayed in the result.
What Are The Documents Required For PM-JAY Scheme?
- Age Proof and Identity Proof ( PAN Card/ Aadhar Card)
- Contact details such as mobile number, address, and email.
- Caste Certificate, if you have any.
- Income Certificate ( maximum annual income only be up to Rs. 5 lakh)
- Document proof that the current status of the family is to be covered.
FAQs About PM-JAY
✅ What are the critical diseases covered under PM-JAY?
They are- prostate cancer, pulmonary valve surgery, skull base surgery, double valve replacement surgery, anterior spine fixation, carotid angioplasty with stent, etc.
✅ How to download the PM-JAY card online?
You have to log in on the website of PM-JAY and then have to enter your Aadhaar Number and your password, then you will be able to download your card online.
✅ Are diabetic patients covered under the PM-JAY scheme?
Yes, the diabetic patients will be ensured under this scheme from day 1 but only for inpatient hospitalization.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is PM-JAY?
- 2 History Of PM-JAY
- 3 Features Of PM-JAY: Ayushman Bharat Yojana Scheme
- 4 PM-JAY Scheme Eligibility Criteria
- 5 How To Register For PM-JAY Scheme?
- 6 What Are The Documents Required For PM-JAY Scheme?
- 7 FAQs About PM-JAY