Solar Charkha Mission
Solar Charkha Mission is a ministry of micro small and medium enterprises (MSME) initiative that was launched in 2018. The Khadi Village Industries Commission is going to implement this programme.
In 2016, a Solar Charkha pilot project was implemented in Khanwa village, Nawada District, Bihar. Based on the success of the pilot project, the Government of India has approved the establishment of 50 such clusters with a budget of Rs. 550 crore for the fiscal years 2018-19 and 2019-20. The scheme is expected to create nearly one lakh direct jobs in the fifty (50) approved clusters.
Objectives of Solar Charkha Mission
The Scheme’s objectives are as follows:
- To ensure inclusive growth by creating jobs, particularly for women and youth, and to promote long-term development through solar charkha clusters in rural areas.
- To stimulate the rural economy and assist in halting migration from rural to urban areas.
- To make use of low-cost, innovative technologies and processes for food production.
Range/Coverage of Project
The goal is to cover 50 solar clusters across the country, with approximately 1,00,000 artisans/beneficiaries covered by the various scheme components. The scheme will be implemented in all Indian states. The geographical distribution of the clusters throughout the country, with at least 10% located in the North Eastern Region (NER), Jammu and Kashmir (J&K), and hilly states, will also be considered. Under the scheme, 117 aspirational districts will be given special attention in terms of soliciting project proposals.
- The Solar Charkha Mission is an enterprise-driven scheme that envisions the establishment of ‘Solar Charkha Clusters’ with 200 to 2042 beneficiaries (Spinners, Weavers, Stitchers and other skilled artisans).
- One cluster would receive a maximum subsidy of Rs. 9.60 crore in the form of capital subsidies for individuals and Special Purpose Vehicles (SPV), interest subsidies for working capital, and capacity building.
- These solar charkhas will be powered by solar energy, which is a renewable energy source. As an environmentally friendly program, it will aid in the development of the Green Economy. It will also provide artisans with long-term employment.
Financial Support for the Solar Charkha Scheme
- Project interventions are classified into three types:
- Individual capital subsidy and Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV)
- Interest Subvention for Working Capital Capacity Building
FAQ’s on Solar Charkha Mission
✅ Who implemented the Solar charkha mission?
✅ When was the Solar Charkha mission launched?
✅ How do I start a Solar charkha business?
Table of Contents
- 1 Solar Charkha Mission
- 2 Background
- 3 Objectives of Solar Charkha Mission
- 4 Range/Coverage of Project
- 5 Important Points
- 6 Financial Support for the Solar Charkha Scheme
- 7 FAQ’s on Solar Charkha Mission